Monday, January 9, 2017

Week 9 - A Top Ten List

Top Ten Things I Love About Learning English In An Israeli Teaching College for Women

10. Is anyone old enough to remember that thing about getting 200 points just for bubbling in your name correctly on the SATs? I am a native speaker of English in a program filled with non-native speakers. 200 feeling smart points every day, baby. Every single day.

9. Lot's of young newly married classmates means sometimes during attendance this happens:
"Yael?"
"Yael's not here - she gave birth over the weekend"

Even better is that during break, in the atrium, in any direction, I get to see babies. Babies! All around me! If you know me, you know that my Achilles Heel is babies.

8. My awesome teachers teach English using Supertramp and Rod Stewart Songs, Land of the Lost Pakuni linguistics, and classic I Love Lucy clips.

7. Being that Israel officially teaches British English, I often feel like I am learning (British) English as a Second Language. I am storing up expressions like "dead lucky" and "I could do for some more tea" alongside my cache of unused present perfect sentences (I've just seen the Queen!) for that inevitable moment when I am tested in "British". Also, I now feel the pain of anyone learning any kind of English as a Second Language. Ouch!

6. I get to send great YouTube clips like this one to my Phonetics teacher. Class participation was never so fun!

5. Special family time (check out my little story builder exercise starring some of my crazy kids)

4. Doing my part for the neglected step-child of Israeli English with my "Make American English Great Again" grammar quiz

3. gurgling baby noises in class. this comforts me when when my classmates make fun of the way I say "IMPORTANT". For the record, I do NOT speak like this!!!

2. fun homework like writing this blog

1.  did i mention babies?



No comments:

Post a Comment